Rock and Roll Half Marathon Recap

Has anybody else gotten hit with this nasty bug that’s floating around?
Nope… Just me and my family??
Well I was out of commission for about three days, my kiddos have missed a week of school between them, and my house has a lingering smell of throw up in it!

But, we seem to be on the mend!!!


So, to my recap!

The Rock and Roll Half Marathon Weekend was September 5th-6th.

 My good friend Edmarie and I were very excited about running this race! We heard about how flat it was, but also how hot it could be!
The Rock and Roll announced in the summer that it was hosting a Remix Challenge, which was if you ran a race on Saturday and Sunday, you would get the Remix Challenge Medal!

Of course we signed up, I mean, hello.. Extra bling!!

The run on Saturday was the Mile in the Sand run. It was, as it sounds, a mile in the sand. My husband, who is always right, told us not to do and that running in the sand would be hard!! Our thoughts was, it’s just a mile, how hard will it be?!?

Oh boy…

We attended the expo with out kiddos and it was great! It was the largest expo I’ve been to, and considering the size of the event (15,000 runners), I’m not shocked it was so huge! We shopped, and I actually ended up winning a spot on #teamgiecorunning! I played a slot game and won, which is awesome as I was being sponsored by Gieco! As long as I wore the bright green shirt on race day, I would get VIP treatment afterwards, to include a massage at the tent after the run! I was in!!

Saturday came early for us and we headed out to the Oceanfront! It was a gorgeous morning with about 2,000 runners participating in the race! When we stepped on the sand with our shoes, the first thing we decided was NO SHOES for this race! We intented on taking it easy, as we both had our husbands in the back of our mind saying how horrible it was!

A few selfies later, we were off!!

Well, not quite off…

Within the first 4 steps, we realized, what a horrible damn idea this was!

I mean come on, its hard enough to WALK on sand, more less RUN in it! And mind you, this wasn’t the hard sand down by the water, no, we were in the middle of the beach, with that nice, soft, sink in to it sand.

This was hard!

Edmarie almost threw up!

Everything on my back side from my achilles to my behind was on fire!

What. the. hell!

We finished! And got our medal, which had actual sand in it, and our beer at 8:30 am, and enjoyed ourselves! I ran that mile in 15:28…my personal worse! But I did it!!expoBlogBoard-14 mileBlogBoard-3

On to day 2…

The race started at 7am, but we had to be there very early to catch the shuttle, as there were 15,000 registered participants. Bright and early, Edmarie comes and picks me up at 4:30am. First think I notice, how humid it is! I believe it was already like 70+ degrees at that time! This wasn’t going to be good!

We head to the parking lot and get shuttled to the start line! I have never seen so many people in one place! My normal routine happens, trying to go to the bathroom, and I clearly have stage fright as nothing comes out!

I meet a group of my friends that are running the half as well! it was all of their first half marathons, so that was pretty cool!738974-1004-0027s

Scott has known my husband going on 15 yrs as they were in boot camp together. Truly love him and his wife Crystal!

After we hear the elite runners take off, we all decide its time to get in our corrals! We were all in different corrals, I was in number 11 with an anticipated finish time of 02:25.
The number one thing that I hear the announcers say is to not underestimate this heat! Also, this is not a PR run as it will be very hot! I believe the temperature that day was to reach about 90, and to say it was humid is an understatement. Coral by coral start to take off. Before you know it, my corral is off!

This course was extremely flat with just one bridge to go over.

Because of my lack of training with everything that happened this summer, I knew to just take it easy and do the best I could.

By the 5k mark, I was hurting. It was SOOO hot.

To see people around me dripping in sweat was crazy! I hadn’t sweat this much at the end of my last half marathon!! I knew now that this was going to be hard.

The walking started. I tried to run at least for 10 mins then walk for a min or so.

The water breaks were great! There were at least 8, along with cold sponges, snack stations, people spraying water, and orange slices.

I wanted to die…. it was just that hot.

I knew right away, I wasn’t going to PR this. I wasn’t even going to come close to my hopeful time of 2:30.

I just needed to finish.

At mile 10, things got a bit bad. I noticed my hands were completely swollen. I’m talking Mickey Mouse hands here. Also, where my capris ended, my legs were swollen too. I couldn’t close my hands. I let the worry really get to me, as I could feel an anxiety attach approaching. I thought of stopping at a medical tent, but I would have been so mad had they pulled me from the race.

I just had a 5K left.

Understanding that I had only done 1 other half marathon before with maybe 2,000 people, I must say I had never seen SO many people walking. People were hot and exhausted. Medical tents were full. I saw a girl faint, luckily in the grass.

At mile 12, I told myself I would sprint to the finish like I did before.

Nope..I was walking.

At 12 1/2, I said run Vanessa….

I couldn’t.

I finally picked it up and ran across the finish line. The amount of people walking across the finish line was unreal.

I did it.738948-1090-0034s 738950-1089-0001s 738955-1165-0034s 738958-1014-0048s 738965-1018-0042s

And, I stared to bawl. I mean seriously cry my eyes out. I couldn’t find my friends to hug me. Hubby wasn’t there this time. My BFF had to cancel coming to the race cause she was hurt. I had no idea where Edmarie was in the race.

I had an emotional breakdown.

But I did it!

I finished in 02:44, and with the amount of walking that I did, I am very surprised at that time!

Edmarie crossed the finish line and after a moment, we cried together! I was so proud of her!

The race was truly tough, both mentally and physically! But I was so happy that I finished it!

Half marathon 2 was in the books!

Next up, Diva’s Half Marathon DC, which was 2 weeks away!!

What was your most challenging race to date? What made it challenging?


4 thoughts on “Rock and Roll Half Marathon Recap

  1. Congrats on finishing! I hope to try RnRVB in the next few years or so. I have had a couple challenging races (a) Miami Half – hot hot hot (b) Brooklyn Half – with little sleep that week (c) LOVE Run Philly….rained the ENTIRE half… but I got a PR!! 🙂


  2. Congrats on your finish! That takes guts! So far my toughest race was in Amelia Island- the entire miles was on the beach! There is nothing quite like it as you know now!!!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s